Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Precaution - Snatch Thieves Part I

Victims fall prey to snatch thieves more than once
By The Star, 23rd December 2008 (Tues)

Some people are unlucky that they fall prey to snatch thefts more than once.

Following are two personal accounts of two victims who have been robbed at least four times.

While they consider themselves “lucky” for escaping unharmed or with minor injuries, the experiences have left them paranoid whenever they hear motorcycles approaching.

Case 1
UTAR student Michelle Boon Yih Yoong had to buy new wallets every three months since she moved into Section 17, Petaling Jaya.

So far, she has been a victim of snatch thefts four times this year alone.

“It is rampant here in Section 17. One of my friends was hospitalised for two weeks when she became a victim of snatch theft last year. She missed some important exam papers and even had a short-term memory loss.

“In August, a man snatched my sling bag when I was on my way to Utar. I did not hear him coming. The bag strap snapped and I almost fell.

“As my friend’s house keys were in my bag, we quickly went back to change the locks. It was such a hassle,” said the 22-year-old.

“The officers at the National Registration Department in my hometown could remember me as I had to apply for my MyKad so many times.

She was also robbed in Bukit Bintang. However, she is grateful that she was not seriously injured in the incidents.

“I try not to go out on my own and put my wallet in my pocket instead of in the bag.

“It’s crazy because I will clutch my bag tightly whenever I hear a motorcycle approaching, even if it is far away from me,” she said.

Case 2
Cheah Peng Sim, who lives in SS17 Subang Jaya, was a victim of snatch theft four times since 1998.

She fractured her arm five years ago when she fell prey to snatch thieves.

“It happened in SS15, across from where I stay. They came on a motorcycle and pushed my shoulder, causing my arm to fling in an awkward position, said the 58-year-old homemaker.

She was even robbed in front of her house.

“My friend dropped me off and noticed that the thieves were coming at us on a motorbike. She quickly threw her bag into the car and locked it.

“I tried to throw my bag into the house but it fell into the drain. I was so scared that I just squatted and screamed.

“The pillion rider pushed my head to the ground and went to get my bag from the drain.”
She lodged police reports after each incident as she lost important documents.

“Some people do not bother to lodge a police report as they feel that it is a waste of time,’’ she said.

Due to the incidents, she has now became paranoid but also more alert of her surroundings.
“Nowadays, I hardly carry a handbag and I buy clothes with pockets.

“I hope there will be stricter laws to curb snatch thefts,” she said.

No comments: