Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Serious Security Breach on Broad Daylight (98K)

There is another serious security breach this afternoon (July 23rd, Wed). Today there is an incident in 98K whereby a motorist went in the resident's house and ask for money. At that moment, only his mother and daughter are at home. The motorist did not get what he wanted and took away the shoes. During the incident, security was contacted but the response was not fast enough ... The security guards did not manage to catch the thief/thug.

Please keep an eye and be more alert. The committees will be talking this matter to the security firm and HGD Property Services. They have to improve drastically!!!!

Here is the email sent by the resident/victim, Law (98K).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This afternoon an intruder came into my house while I was away at work. This man came with motorbike with helmet in 'sarong'. At that time my front gate was close but was not locked as my daughter just got home from school, which is normal thing for us as this is supposed to be a safe gated community. The man came inside my garage and sat in front of my door. My mother was shocked by his sudden presence. Then he asked my mother for money, claiming that he was sent by some temple. My mum refused. Sensing trouble, she made an excuse that she has to call me to ask for money while my daughter called me at work. I told my family to keep the grill door locked while I called the security guard house for help. Leaving nothing to chance, I rushed back home.

Meanwhile I was continuously on the phone with my family. Realisng that he wouldnt get anything out of my mum, he decided to leave but not before stealing my shoes right in front of my family. I told my family not to do anything but stay indoor and let the security handle the man. Upon arriving, I was told by the security guard named Akir that the man has managed to escape and our CG security could not catch him.

While it was not fair to lash out at the security (which I didnt) as I was not there to witness the incident as to the actual event, I cant help but feel upset and deeply worried that such an incident can happen in our gated community. I cant begin to imagine what would happen if the man managed to get into my house if the timing of his intrusion was just as when my daughter was getting into my house from school. It is not a nice feeling to even think about it.

I did the the next best thing i.e call the immediate superior (Badrul 013-278 1447) of our security. He tried to give his explanation as to how they did their best in this case but I was not amused netiher was I convinced. According to him:

-It is their duties to record all visitors whether in cars, motorbikes or walking in.
-It is quite common that motorbikes and pedestrians get into CG via the narrow gap between the guard pole and retention wall
-In my case, apparently the security saw the 'inruder' entering but somehow lost him, not knowing which direction he went
-Currently there is no provision for security to call house owners to confirm expecting visitors

As I see there is serious lax in SOP for our security. May I humbly suggest that:

-A standard procedure to be imposed for security guard house to call owner to confirm expecting visitors >> this way we are certain that no unwanted visitors can come into our community.

-For the above to be effective and for the sake of safety of community all residents must cooperate with security and accept the little inconvenince of having to receive call from security whenever we expect visitors

I feel it is worthwhile having that inconvenience (if it is considered as one) if that itself can give us so much sense of security and comfort for our families.

I humbly hope my thought and suggestion is given due consideration.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agreed on that.
I have a friend staying in townhouse near KK hill. A break in case happened in the broad daylight during new moving in period. Thereafter, the community have strenthen the security rules by enforcing the
security guard to call the owner & confirm expecting visitors. since then, no more cases happened.

CG said...

The security is not doing the job and not worth what we hv been paying monthly. But what can we do, NOTHING!! Except just highlight it here and the same security guard will be still there waving hand and open the gate to whoever coming in that waved at them. Even if you told them off for letting outsiders in easily, they will just apoligised and the same thing will happen again.

I strongly suspect that some outsiders also bribe them in order to come in to collect old newspaper. I have noticed a white van, Nissan Vanette that came few times collecting old newspaper. When I asked the guard, he just said that the driver is looking for his friend.


CG

Anonymous said...

We can't put all the blame on the guards. Sometimes it is the residents fault. I am sure some guards get scolding from certain residents at times. So this put the guards in a difficult position. It would be more civilised to hold a meeting / dialogue session for representatives of CGRA-HGD-SECURITY to highlight the issues so that something productive will come out of this. I won't expect the Security people actually check this blog for security issues & neither does HGD. I won't expect them a bit to do that. But nothing wrong with that. Everyone has a choice.

Residents should also come up with suggestions so that a collective pool of ideas can be explored by CGRA. Good or bad does not matter. Certains good ideas sometimes derived from bad ideas.

The gap between the boom gates, firstly, is too wide & convenient for anyone to just zoom pass. How many times I have seen this - esp. bikes, peddle or motor type. Even walking in is a breeze. Got to the root cause first, not the guards. Once the boom gat gap can be settled, then we shall see how effective it is. HGD is at fault here as they are the one who negotiate for the boom gate. Surely, there are ways to extend the boom gate with some attachments.

Another suggestion I would like to make is add a sign on the boom gate. One indicating visitors & other for residents with electronic card (with a card icon as well in case some don't read or can't read!).

I would also like to highlight the bend in 98P. Despite the convex mirror placed, there are drivers that still don't seem to understand that it is a 2-way road. Some residents/visitors still "makan" jalan on this bend & it is dangerous. God only knows when there will be a head-on collision one day. Most of them who "makan" or "sapu" jalan do it as quite high speed as well. If this continues, a speed bump will be more effective than just a mirror.

On security, I have visited many Japanese plants in the past & have to say that security in these plants are the best in the country. One of the methods adopted by one is that the guards take digital photos of the vehicles coming in & out. They even demand the vehicles to open the boot for them to take photos of the contents in the boot! Photo will be taken for both front & back of vehicle, plus driver. The area of the security is covered, so no problem rain, snow & shine.

I suppose this idea can be expanded to see how it can be applied at CG security in a more friendlier manner & in the interest of the resident's security. After all, there is already a PC. A reasonable good digital camera cost RM 499. Photos can be uploaded into the PC for future ref &/or deleted when no longer needed. But I also wonder what the CCTV at the guardhouse can do?

A sign should be displayed at the guardhouse for visitors to surrender driving licence for entry. Language should be in Malay & English. With a driving licence icon will also help to those who can't read. These are not costly effects.