Thursday, July 10, 2008

Our MP Wary After Handbag Snatched While Driving to Selayang

From The Star, 10th July 2008, our MP also kena samun as she stops her car at traffic light. So please be extra careful when you drive alone - at night - especially ladies drivers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MP wary after handbag snatched while driving to Selayang

As Parliament’s hours extend late into the night to finish government business, Dr Siti Mariah Mahmud (PAS - Kota Raja) finds herself getting more apprehensive.

Not that she finds it difficult to cope with the work but after being a victim of a snatch theft, she has understandably become more wary.

This is the third time Dr Siti Mariah, 50, has been a victim of a crime.

The latest incident happened on Monday night when she was on her way to visit her mother at Selayang Hospital.

“There were so many things on my mind so I was not as alert. I had stopped my car at a traffic light near Taman Ehsan in Kepong when suddenly I heard a loud bang.

“I felt pain in my hands and saw two men on a motorcycle zooming away with my handbag, which I had left on the passenger seat beside me,” she recounted.

She lost her credit and bank cards, and hand phone. What she rued most was the loss of her newly acquired Parliament card and her precious “pencil box.”

“Luckily, the MP’s insignia was still on my car, so I could drive freely into Parliament.

“Also, I didn’t have my second purse that contained a sizeable sum of money from my son in my handbag,” she said.

Dr Siti Mariah, who drives a Toyota Vios, was a victim of crime on two previous occasions when her car was broken into.

“Somebody broke into my car when I was at a pasar malam and took some jewellery from the boot. About a year ago, somebody opened my car boot and took two laptops,” she said.

Meanwhile, Gombak OCPD Asst Comm Abdul Rahim Abdullah said police had identified several groups, including the one that attacked Dr Siti.

ACP Abdul Rahim said no arrests had been made and appealed to the public for information They can contact the police via the Rakan Cop hotline at 03-21159999 or the nearest police station.

No comments: